Several other notes the district must consider:
1. Henry County Public Schools have more high school students than ever involved in the iLead Academy, Jefferson County Technical College (both in Carrollton) as well as vocational programs and dual credit college classes on Henry County High’s campus. These opportunities, along with high school semester finals, does make it beneficial that the school district match as many dates on the calendar with districts that share those Carrollton opportunities – Carroll County, Gallatin County, Owen County and Trimble County. It is also beneficial that the district has a similar number of school days in two semesters (August to December and January to May).
2. Henry and the districts we work with have following calendar norms:
· Fall Break (if the districts have one) falls on the first full week of October
· Spring Break falls on the first full week of April
· Henry starts students on a Wednesday to avoid starting students with a full week of school
· Three school days off during Thanksgiving Break
· The equivalent of two school weeks off during Christmas Break
So keeping this in mind, here are some expectations of the calendar committee:
1. School starting for students either on Wednesday, Aug. 5 or Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2020
2. Fall Break - Monday, Oct. 5 to Friday, Oct. 9, 2020
3. The last day for students before Christmas break – Friday, Dec. 18, 2020 with students returning from break on Monday, Jan. 4, 2021
4. Spring Break - Monday, April 5, to Friday, April 9, 2021
Please feel free to leave any comments pertaining to the upcoming calendar draft here (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NQVWZ8N) or speak to one of your representatives on the committee. The proposed calendar will be published on-line in the days following the Dec. 16 Henry County Public Schools Board of Education meeting.